Saudi apology after national team does not take part in minute’s silence for London attacks

Saudi football chiefs have apologised after their national team elected not to take part in a minute’s silence for victims of the London Bridge attack.

Australian players linked arms as a sign of respect before Thursday’s World Cup qualifying match at Adelaide Oval.

Saudi players took up field positions and some continued to stretch.

Football officials said they had been told in advance that the “tradition was not in keeping with Saudi culture”. An Australian MP called it “disgraceful”.

Football’s world body Fifa says the Saudi team will not face sanctions. It said it had reviewed what had happened and judged that there were “no grounds to take disciplinary action”.

Eight people were killed and 48 injured on Saturday when three men drove into pedestrians on London Bridge, before abandoning the vehicle and stabbing people in the surrounding area.

Two Australians, Kirsty Boden and Sara Zelenak, were among the eight victims of the terror attack.

ShareShare on Facebook7Share on Google+0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0

Leave a Reply